Sunday, December 6, 2009

Whitney Houston's Grammy Snub Irks Producers, Friends



Whitney Houston's comeback album, "I Look To You," may have debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, but it wasn't enough of a feat to garner a single Grammy nod this year. In a surprising omission, Houston received no nominations at this week's Grammy Nominations Concert Live! for the highly-rated album, her fourth No. 1 set which sold 305,000 copies in its first week alone (818,000 so far), according to Nielsen Sound Scan.

Producer Danja, who helm ed two tracks for "I Look to You" -- "For The Lovers" and "Nothin' But Love" -- feels let down by the Grammy snub. "I'm a little disappointed because she put together a classic album. Her overall comeback is something to be noted but I'm a believer that great people and great music will always show its head," he told Billboard.com.

In spite of the Houston disappointment, Danja, who worked on Pink and Keri Hilson's albums -- both multiple nominees -- is excited about being acknowledged for those projects this year. "It's always a pleasant surprise to receive a nomination. Of course we want to win, but being recognized is plenty after all the hard work we put into producing great music," he says. "Both Keri and Pink are two very special projects to me and I'm excited for them both."

Pink is in the Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and Best Pop Vocal Album categories for her "Sober" single and "Fun house" album, respectively. Hilson got voted for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration ("Knock You Down" featuring Kanye West and Ne-Yo) and Best New Artist alongside Zac Brown Band, MGMT, Silversun Pickups and The Ting Tings.


Previous Grammy nominee Ledisi, who is up for "Best R&B Vocal Performance" for her latest single "Goin' Through Changes" and "Best R&B Album" for her 2009 album "Turn Me Loose," says she isn't surprised by Houston's lack of recognition. "I have learned after watching the Grammy s for years and now being a participant to always expect the unexpected," the Bay-area singer told Billboard. "Just when you think you know who will be nominated or win, it turns out to be something else. I am just grateful Ms. Houston is back and singing. I have enjoyed her artistry for years."

As for her own nominations, Ledisi says it feels "Extraordinary! I made a lot of changes for 'Turn Me Loose,' my third major label release, and to be nominated for two Grammy s is amazing. I am eternally grateful to NARA S for this acknowledgment once again, especially for 'Turn Me loose,' because it validates my choice to stretch out."

"I Look To You" marks Houston's best opening sales week since Nielsen Sound Scan began tracking data in 1991 (her previous best opening week since that year came when 2002's "Just Whitney" bowed at No. 9 in the thick of the Christmas holiday shopping season with 205,000.) Singles "I Look To You" and "Million Dollar Bill" both reached No. 19 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart.